Basics on Irritable Bowel Syndrome and symptoms :
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is the umbrella term used by the medical fraternity to explain problems associated with the stomach, digestion or the colon.
The name IBS means nothing as there are many causes & symptoms of Irritable Bowels Syndrome..
It was previously known as 'mucous colitis' & 'spastic colon'.
Far too many people suffer from frequent Irritable Bowel syndrome symptoms unnecessarily.
In the opinion of most Naturopathic practitioners, a patient suffers from IBS symptoms if they exhibit frequent signs of CONSTIPATION and/or DIARRHEA.
In many cases, these unpleasant symptoms can be improved by a change in diet / food intake. The irritable bowel syndrome diet must be composed of plain, wholesome foods - a basic food elimination diet should be used to see if symptoms improve over a few days.
Other symptoms of IBS / Irritable Bowel Syndrome are:
- Bloating and/or burping after eating
- Continuos and/or very frequent flatulence (indicates food fermentation)
- Constant wind and/or wind pains
- Unaccounted stomach pains
- Gurgling and/or noises in the gut
- The feeling of 'movement' in the bowels
- Watery stools
- Discoloured stools
- Bloody stools
- Mucus in the stool
- Pains in the upper left side (just under your ribs) and/or
- Abnormal pains in general & just before a bowel movement
- Constant reflux
- Bad breath
- Feeling of not evacuating sufficient stool / not fully evacuating
- Frequent Indigestion
Therefore, if you suffer from bouts of difficult bowel movements or do not have a bowel movements daily (as explained in Constipation) and/or suffer from many loose bowel movements daily (as explained in Diarrhea) and/or experience an alternation of diarrhea with constipation them you may well suffer from IBS.
* Mucus and/or blood in the stool IS NOT normal and if you do have signs of these, then you need to correct it ASAP.
Some causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms are ...
- Food Intolerance
- Food Allergy
- Digestive Disorders (not producing sufficient digestive enzymes)
- Dysbiosis (an imbalance in bowel flora)
- Candida infection - see information
- Leaky Gut - see information
- Use of stomach acid suppressing drugs
- Use of Antacid medication & various drugs
- Obstruction or kink in the colon
Most of the time, many IBS symptoms can be improved by a change in food intake and an increase in certain food SUPPLEMENTS such as Digestive Enzymes, ProBiotics, PreBiotics & Anti-Virals / Anti-Fungal combination products for a period of time until bowel flora and enzyme function are restored.
The diet to follow should be a 'clean & wholesome foods' diet. Leave out all junk foods, ready meals and basically any item that is packed and ready to eat.
If you want to overcome irritable bowel syndrome symptoms naturally, you need to make your meals with raw ingredients and increase your intake of vegetables, fruits and salads.
Only once the digestive system is happy and functioning correctly, the the gut lining have the opportunity to begin it's cell repair process!
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME SUMMARY
- Eliminate the cause i.e. alter food intake & eliminate certain foods for a time period - follow a food elimination diet
- Eat 'whole foods', avoid packaged & processed foods
- Improve the digestive processes.
- Restore normal bowel flora (favourable bacteria in the colon).
- Provide the body with certain nutrients to help it fight off the infection.
- Offer the Liver support in it's detoxification function.
- Restore the body's immune system so that it can repair damaged tissue & enhance it's ability to ward off recurring infection.
- Digestive Enzymes
- Probiotics e.g. Acidophilus & Bifidophilus
- Natural antifungal herbs
- Caprylic Acid
- Psyllium Husk
- Lapacho Tea
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Vitamin C
- Aloe Vera
This page deals briefly with digestive problems, IBS causes, symptoms of irritable bowel, irritable bowel diets to help improve irritable bowel syndrome symptoms.