Bloating - Why do I get A bloated stomach after eating ?
Excessive bloating or experiencing a constant bloated stomach, especially after eating can be attributed to a number of reasons but in many cases, the problem is due to the type of foods and the insufficient breakdown of the foods eaten which in turn can lead to a number of symptoms such as ...
- A swollen gut / constant bloated stomach
- Wind pains
- Gurgling in the gut area
- Gut / stomach pains
- Indigestion and/or Bad Breath
- The feeling of 'over eating'
- And even nausea on occasions
Why does stomach bloating occur ?
Why can some people eat virtually anything without experiencing any adverse effects and yet a large percentage of the population suffer terribly from bloating after eating and many of the above listed symptoms on a daily basis?
Basically, many people's digestive systems are not operating efficiently due to a host of reasons such as...
- Food Intolerance (certain foods do not agree with you)
- Eating too much at one sitting
- Not chewing food properly
- Drinking too much liquid with means (it dilutes the digestive enzymes)
- Eating the wrong combination of foods for your body
- Excessive use of various medication over time such as antibiotics, hormones, antacids etc.
- lack of digestive enzymes - our stomach HCL levels decline as we age
- Long term overindulgence in 'junk foods', salt, sugar, food additives, food colorants etc.
How can I get rid of constant bloating or avoid feeling bloated after meals ?
If there are no medical reasons causing the bloating and or flatulence, alter eating habits / your food intake & supplement your diet with various Probiotics & Digestive Enzymes for a period of time.
You should follow a basic elimination diet which excludes most of the foods that are know to cause digestion problems for 5 to 10 days. You should start feeling some relief within days.
After 10 or so days, introduce 1 new food per day and gauge your gut reaction to the new food item.
If you experience any discomfort such as burping, bloating, gut pains or lethargy after eating the new food, leave it out for a while longer.
Click here for a sample elimination diet.
BLOATING / BLOATED STOMACH SUMMARY
- Alter and improve your diet & eating habits & diet
- Improve the digestive process
- Restore and maintain bowel flora (favourable bacteria in the colon)
- Digestive Enzymes
- Probiotics e.g. Acidophilus & Bifido
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Caprylic Acid
- Aloe Vera
This page deals briefly with digestion of foods, bloating in the gut, constant bloated stomach and bloating after eating.